Oral Cancer Screening
Oral cancer, like many other types of cancer, is most easily and successfully treated when detected early. As part of a holistic approach to oral health, an oral cancer screening can be done right in our office as part of your regular exam.
Our dentists have the skills and tools necessary to ensure any early signs of oral cancer or pre-cancerous conditions are detected and identified.
The symptoms below may be caused by other, less serious problems. However it’s important to be aware that these may also be signs of oral cancer.
- A lump in or around the lips or mouth
- A thickening or rough spot in or around the mouth
- Red or white spot or sores anywhere within the oral cavity
- A sore in the area that bleeds easily and does not heal
- Tenderness, pain or numbness anywhere in the mouth or on the lips
- Any difficulty in chewing, speaking, or swallowing
- Difficulty moving the jaw or the tongue
As part of your routine dental checkup or on a more immediate basis, a simple, quick screening that involves examination of the entire oral cavity can be done to detect any pre-cancerous or cancerous condition. This includes a visual exam as well as manually feeling the tissue of the mouth and throat to detect any abnormalities. If any area of concern is located, a simple test can be performed and laboratory analysis done.
Other things you can do to help prevent oral cancer are avoid all tobacco products, drink only in moderation and maintain a healthy and balanced diet. You should also limit your exposure to the sun and use sun protective lotion on your lips as well as your skin.
If you experience any of these, contact our dental office and make an appointment. We are here to help: (802) 878-5591