Wearing a Mouthguard
Injuries involving impact to the mouth and jaw are common in the world of sports. This is why it’s essential for athletes, both amateur and professional to protect this area of their bodies.
Wearing a mouthguard will help protect the teeth and gums as well as give some support to the jaw. No matter the sport you are involved in; hockey, tennis, boxing, football, basketball, gymnastics, martial arts or any other such activity, the American Dental Association recommends you wear a mouthguard.
Choosing the Right Mouthguard
Different types of mouthguards are available and choosing the right one is essential. You can select either a pre-made mouthguard, a “boil-and-bite” fitted mouthguard or a custom-fitted mouthguard. No matter which you choose be sure it is resistant to tears, fits well in your mouth and is easily cleaned. If you wear braces or a retainer it is vital that you wear a properly fitted mouthguard. Our dentists can help you select the right mouthguard for you.
Caring for your Mouthguard
You must properly take care of, clean, and store your mouthguard. You should also be aware of when it’s time to replace it with a new one.
Here is some advice for keeping your mouthguard at its best:
- Always store your mouthguard in its protective case
- After each use, gently scrub it with a toothbrush and toothpaste
- Do not leave your mouthguard out in the sun (it may melt or lose its shape)
- Do not leave your mouthguard in hot water
- Replace your mouthguard at the beginning of each season
- Replace it if you notice it has a become worn or no longer fits right
- If you wear braces or a retainer, talk to your dentist about a proper mouthguard
- Do not chew pieces off your mouthguard or rip it in any way
When you come in for your next appointment, bring your mouthguard. We’ll make sure it’s right for you.
To minimize the chances of a sports-related injury, always wear your mouthguard.
Contact our dental office and make an appointment. We are here to help.
Excellent care every time! Dr Mackay and his entire staff is knowledgeable, kind, patient, and trustworthy. Highly recommend.
Dr. Feeley, our main dentist, and the entire staff are consistently courteous, attentive and respectful. They very obviously keep up to date with “best practice” assuring that their patients receive the best possible care available.